Tuesday, February 3, 2009

living matrices

I guess Phil Beesley's Matrix work is a standard in this course. He uses the shape memory alloy wire to enliven artificial environments, usually made with mylar compositions.

I find these artistic installations to be provocative in their translation of weak and slow movement into a whole environment of movement. The works are arranged in complex matrix structure that is so light that it is able to deliver and often even amplify the original kinesis applied to it. It also suggest a variety of points of input and output.

To improve this project, of which there are many quite identical iterations, I would explore a more functional use of this system of harnessing and distributing movement throughout a matrix. Personally, that is, in relation to my partner and my interests for this class, I am curious to find a hybrid project between Beesley's matrices and his Hungry Soil project.

This installation also defines a matrix of connectivity meant to support an artificial reef system, placed in an urban context. I wonder if we might combine the two systems towards a water collection system.

Labels:


Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?